The coronavirus pandemic affected not only our physical health but also our mental health. Although the pandemic has been brought under control in our country, it seems unlikely to be normal for a long time. We will continue to live socially for an indefinite period and fight against the virus with our new normals. So how can we get rid of the negative effects such as stress, pressure, anxiety and anxiety created by this process on us? Walking meditation can help you with this.
What is walking meditation?
Walking meditation is a technique that every person can easily apply. Even walking itself is a meditation, but the technique is different from daily rhythmic strolls. You can add it to your ordinary walk in 10 minutes of small exercises.
You can practice walking meditation at home or in a natural environment. Of course, doing it in a quiet, peaceful environment will make you get more benefits. In this technique, unlike normal walking, it is necessary to walk very slow. Take very slow steps by dividing each step into parts such as; lifting the foot, extending the foot forward, pressing the foot on the ground, and being aware of every movement you made. Since the aim is to walk very slow, you may experience balance problems while doing. But it is inevitable to see that you can take more confident steps when you continue to do without giving up. By including walking meditation in a part of your walk, you can manage to focus your mind better and stay relaxed by staying in the moment.
The importance of walking meditation in social distance life
Millions of people around the world have been in their homes for a long time because of the pandemic. It is our responsibility to take care of our hygiene and health, not to leave the house as much as possible, and to protect ourselves from others in a social distance. Although we are aware of this, we all experience the difficulties of this process and share similar feelings. We all need fresh air, oxygen, sun and mental calm, peace. Thus, with the normalization process and removing the restrictions, it may be possible to spend time in nature by following the social distance rule, to walk and improve our mental health with walking meditation. Walking meditation, like other types of meditation, has countless benefits on our mental health. With this technique, we can get away from the negatives created by the necessity of social distance and fill our hearts with more beautiful emotions.
1. While walking in nature, walking meditation can help relieve stress. It is a proven fact that contacting with nature reduces the level of cortisone, which is the physiological sign of stress.
2. When walking meditation, smiling should not be forgotten. The smile used in all meditations allows you to keep your attention. In this way, you can forget all your concerns and focus your attention on what you are doing.
3. Especially morning hours can be preferred for walking meditation. Because energy is more intense in this period. You can feel stronger physically and spiritually with your walk during these hours.
4. When you learn to walk slow and calm with walking meditation, you can see that this effect reflects on all your movements throughout the day. In this way, you can feel lightness, less fuss and more consciousness.
5. Walking meditation in nature lowers blood pressure, heart rate, and stress. Thanks to these effects, you can feel healthier.
6. When you combine the benefits of spending time in nature with meditation and breathing exercises, you complete the whole. This makes you feel complete and fit.
All this is to alleviate the negative effects of social distance life, which has been in our life for a long time and will exist for a while. It will help replace them with more beautiful emotions.
You may also be interested in these articles:
8 Amazing Effects Eating Habits Have On Our Psychology
8 Great Effects Of Regular Exercise And Weight Control On Your Health
What Are Meditation Techniques That Can Be Applied At Home?