Atatürk Airport which started its operations in 1953 was closed on April 6, 2019. Now all flights are operated by Sabiha Gökçen Airport and the newly opened Istanbul Airport. We are sure that there are lots of things you wonder about Istanbul Airport. And this article will sure satisfy your curiosity...
Where is Istanbul Airport?
Istanbul Airport, which is expected to become an international hub airport and the main stop for foreign passengers, is located in the European side on the coast of the Black Sea. It was built between Akpınar and Tayakadın villages, close to the intersection of Göktürk - Arnavutköy and Lake Terkos. Istanbul Airport covers an area of a whopping 76.5 kilometers.
What amenities and features does Istanbul Airport have?
Istanbul Airport has three control towers - one of which is virtual - and six landing fields. The airport is expected to take passengers to 350 destinations in the world via 3,500 journeys. Boasting many technological amenities, Istanbul Airport considered everything down to the last detail to ensure passenger comfort. It includes a parking lot with a capacity to house 18,000 vehicles, shopping facilities, luxury consumption stores and, with an area of 53,000 m2, the world’s largest duty free space!
How to get to Istanbul Airport
You can drive in your own car or take a bus, or opt for HAVAİST to get you to the airport. Subway trips will also start in future. It is also among plans to link the airport with the Yavuz Sultan Selim Bridge and Northern Marmara Highway. Here are the currently available bus and HAVAİST trips:
- H-1 MAHMUTBEY METRO - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- H-2 MECİDİYEKÖY - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- H-3 HALKALI- ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- H-4 ATATÜRK AIRPORT - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-1 YENİKAPI - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST - 2 TÜYAP - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-3 OTOGAR - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-4 BAKIRKÖY - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-5 BEŞİKTAŞ - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-6 ALİBEYKÖY CEP OTOGARI - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-7 KADIKÖY - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-8 PENDİK - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-9 HACIOSMAN - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-10 SANCAKTEPE - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-11 ARNAVUTKÖY - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-12 KEMERBURGAZ - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-13 SARIYER - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-14 BAŞAKŞEHİR - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-15 BAHÇEŞEHİR - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-16 MAHMUTBEY METRO - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-17 HALKALI - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-18 MECİDİYEKÖY - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
- İST-19 TAKSİM - ISTANBUL AIRPORT LINE
What is the code for Istanbul Airport?
This is very important for ticket buyers. The code IST, which was in use for Atatürk Airport until April 6, 2019, will now be used for Istanbul Airport.
Food & Beverage Guide for Istanbul Airport
Istanbul Airport is home to great restaurant and cafés which serve delicious flavors from Turkish and world cuisines. There are also chain coffee shops, bakeries & patisseries, bars and many more. Among the food and beverage options are Carl’s Jr, Burger King, Çay Saati, Mood Up, Popeyes, Refresh, Simit Sarayı, Taze Fresh, and Yo! Sushi.
Shopping Guide for Istanbul Airport
With its watch, jewelry, accessories, clothing, child’s clothing, home textile and technology stores, Istanbul Airport promises its visitors a fun shopping experience before and after their trips. Among these stores are Tobacco Shop, Njoy Teknoloji, Melike Sultan Eczanesi, Flowers, Altınbaş, D&R, Flormar, Samsonite and Yves Rocher.
Car rental at Istanbul Airport
There are several car rental companies on Istanbul Airport’s land side arrival floor so that passengers can continue to enjoy the airport’s comfort also within the city. Among these companies are Avec Car Rental, Avis, Budget, Central, Comet, Çizgi Rent a Car, Dokay, Enterprise, Euronet, Europcar, Garenta, Goldcar, Green Motion Hertz, Luks, Route and Ülger Rent a Car.
Banks and ATMs at Istanbul Airport
You can find banks and ATMs in four different areas including land side international arrivals, land side domestic arrivals, land side international departures and land side domestic departures. These banks and ATMs are operated by the leading domestic and international brands. Denizbank, Halkbank, TEB, Türkiye İş Bankası, Vakıfbank, Yapı Kredi Bankası and Ziraat Bankası are just a few of them.
These articles may also be of interest to you:
The 10 Best Parks in Istanbul for Running
The 7 Best Baklava Places in Istanbul
12 Fantastic Resorts Near Istanbul