Many of us tend to think that we can only get sick in winter. However, the rising temperatures in summer, as well as our changing dietary and lifestyle habits can lead to various health problems. That’s why we should protect our body health and take the necessary measures so as to avoid such conditions appearing in summer months. Here are some suggestions to help you keep your body healthy during summer...
How can we keep our body healthy in summer?
There are two specific things we should pay attention to when it comes to protecting our body health in summer months.
As the heat and moisture carries a risk for infection, fruits and vegetables must be well preserved and should not be eaten without washing.
- As we lose high amounts of body fluids during summer , every day we must drink 2 to 2.5 liters of water to avoid dehydration.
- Instead of fizzy drinks, we should go for homemade drinks like lemonade and ayran to cool off the summer heat.
- One important reminder: Fatty foods exhaust the body more in summer.
- Eating foods rich in fiber is also very important for intestinal and overall health.
- Plus, in summer, we should eat healthy snacks for three times a day in addition to three main meals we consume. This way, we can stop consuming unhealthy snacks as we won’t suffer from a decreasing blood sugar.
- Please keep in mind that it takes 15 minutes to feel full after starting to eat; so you should chew slowly and thoroughly. This will help you eat less and support your digestive system.
- Watch out not to eat fried foods which are quite popular at resorts. Instead, you should opt for roasted, grilled, or boiled foods. You should intake your daily fat from natural sources such as almond, walnut, and hazelnut fats.
- Ice cream, fruit desserts, and milk puddings should be in your diet list instead of pastry.
- If you’re planning to spend your holiday at a hotel with an open buffet, try to fill your plate according to our suggestions.
- Everyday take a shower to avoid chronic fatigue.
- Sleeping increases in importance with the heat of summer. So make it a habit not to consume caffeine or alcohol or smoke before going to bed. Because all these three ruin the quality of sleep and make it harder to fall asleep.
- Air conditioning makes things easier in summer but it should be used properly. Unconscious use of air conditioning can make even a healthy person sick.
- In summer, doing sports must be your lifestyle. But avoid working out when the sun is at the top. Try to stay in covered places between 10:00 - 16:00.
- You should only prefer hygienic pools and seas.
- In hot temperatures many things pose a risk of having fungus. This applies to footwear as well. Wear cotton socks to prevent fungus in shoes.
- Also keep in mind that wet swimwear may lead to internal diseases by producing fungus due to heat and moisture. In such cases, wet swimsuit must be replaced with a dry one.
- Thin, light-colored, comfortable, and cotton clothes should be preferred for daily health.
- If on medication, don’t forget to consult your doctor before going on a holiday.
- Last but not least, sunscreen is a must to prevent the skin from drying, wrinkling, and aging quickly.
These articles may also be of interest to you: