Pilates is an exercise method developed in the 20th Century, helping keep the body upright by contributing to spine health. Pilates, which contains movements suitable for all ages, is regarded as a sports activity that appeal to people from all ages. For all these reasons, Pilates is recommended for all age groups as it prevents aging of the bones, giving one a more flexible and healthier body. In this article, we will try to give you more detailed information about Pilates. Let’s begin!
What is Pilates?
Pilates is an exercise system developed by Joseph Hubert Pilates in the early 20th Century. Originally a rehabilitation service, Pilates has become an exercise system not just used for treatment of physical disabilities but also appealing to individuals who want to have a fit body, live healthily in old age, shape their body and increase their muscle mass.
With its myriad benefits to the human body, Pilates can be regarded as the sports of the century. In addition to all these benefits, Pilates also owes its popularity to its posture-improving properties. Posture disorders caused by daily life habits can cause various pain and serious disabilities over time. With its underlying principles, Pilates aims to improve a person’s posture by restoring the backbone into a healthy and natural position.
How to do Pilates
Pilates is an exercise system that does not require any equipment, unlike other sports. Any movement made by adhering to the principles of Pilates can be accepted as a Pilates workout. Of course, there are equipment and tools used to enhance the effect, but as we have just mentioned, Pilates can be done by only applying the principles of Pilates.
Pilates works the muscles by giving them a balanced flexibility and strength. Just as with other exercises, it is necessary to warm up before doing Pilates. Not doing so may cause a number of injuries.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
Pilates has numerous benefits for the human body and mind. These benefits can be summarized as follows:
- Regular Pilates work-outs allow you to have a tighter body and lose weight.
- Pilates shapes your body in a short time as it flexes and strengthens the muscles evenly.
- Pilates aims to work all the muscles in the body. And so muscles that are normally neglected become stronger, allowing you to have a more balanced and stronger body.
- Pilates corrects your posture by improving spine health.
- Pilates work-outs increase your flexibility, making you stronger against possible injuries.
- Pilates is an exercise system that requires concentration and coordination. Therefore, when done regularly, it improves your concentration and coordination skills.
- Pilates is not only useful for your physical health, but also your mental health. Regular Pilates work-outs allow you to beat stress and support your mental health.
- Pilates helps you have more control over your body by making you more familiar with it.
- It is known that it facilitates the birth process when it is done under the supervision of an expert during pregnancy.
- As Pilates teaches one how to breathe correctly, it increases the oxygen capacity of the lungs, and helps eliminate diseases associated with incorrect breathing.
- Pilates also delivers good results in the management of many disabilities.
These articles may also be of interest to you:
Dietary Tips for a Healthy Life
9 Energy Foods to Give You an Energetic Start to the Day
The Enormous Effects of Dietary Habits on Our Psychology
11 Foods with Detoxifying Effects