Working from home, a.k.a homeworking, is a business model preferred by many companies and employees today. In addition, due to emergencies such as the virus epidemic, most people may have to work from home. Although working from home has some advantages over working in the office, we can say that it can also bring some health problems. So, what can you do to work from home and protect your health and fitness? Here are some tips to help you improve your quality of life while working from home.
1. Follow a Healthy Diet Program!
With working from home, consuming products containing high amounts of saturated fat, salt and sugar can increase. That can cause various health problems in the future. For this reason, if you are working from home, you must first follow a healthy diet program prepared for you by your dietitian. According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) in the USA, the following nutrients are prioritized in a healthy diet program:
● Fruits and vegetables
● Whole-grain foods
● Low-fat dairy products
In a healthy diet program, consuming foods high in saturated fat such as red meat and processed foods should also be limited. In addition, it is recommended not to skip any meal, including breakfast, while working from home and to choose healthy snacks instead of junk food.
2. Be Careful to Drink Plenty of Water!
Two-thirds of your body is made up of water, and you need to drink enough water every day to maintain your health. Otherwise, health problems such as headaches, weakness, and constipation may occur. For this reason, you need to consume enough water in terms of both health and staying fit while working from home. Although a person's daily water need varies according to the daily calorie intake of the person; Experts recommend that a person consume an average of 2-2.5 liters of water per day.
Water is a beverage you should never neglect while working from home. You can also drink moderate amounts of tea or coffee. However, you should know that other foods consumed other than water cannot replace water. Finally; To protect your health and fitness, you should also avoid sugary products such as carbonated drinks, energy drinks, and fruit juices.
3. Exercise Regularly!
If you work from home, you need to exercise regularly for a healthy life. The benefits of exercise for both your physical and mental health are as follows:
● It reduces your risk of a heart attack.
● It helps you control your weight.
● It lowers your cholesterol level in the blood.
● It reduces your risk of type 2 diabetes, cancer, and osteoporosis (bone loss).
● It regulates your blood pressure.
● It strengthens your bone, muscle, and joint structures.
● It reduces your risk of falling while doing your daily work.
● It strengthens your immune system.
● It makes you feel better.
● It improves your sleep quality.
If you work from home, you can make a schedule for regular exercise. Exercise channels on YouTube can also help you with this.
Instead of working for long hours, you can take a break every 30 minutes and take short walks around the house. Also, you can try standing up instead of sitting down.
4. Customize Your Work Environment!
To prevent musculoskeletal disorders and health problems caused by sitting for a long time, you need to organize your work environment at home according to your needs. You can apply the following recommendations to improve your work environment:
● Use an adjustable and comfortable seat for a healthy sitting position.
● Make sure your work area is at elbow level.
● Keep your keyboard and mouse at forearm level and within easy reach.
● Ensure the monitor is at least 65 cm away from your eyes, and the fonts are suitable for you.
For more tips on organizing your work environment at home: Suggestions for Organizing Workplaces for Workers from Home
5. Never Forget A Good Night's Sleep!
If you want to stay healthy and fit while working at home, you should know that getting a night of good sleep is at least as important as a healthy diet. The amount of sleep a person needs varies according to season, age, region of residence, work done, and genetic factors; Experts stipulate a night's sleep of 6-8 hours, defined as "quality sleep," for every adult individual. For this reason, arrange your sleeping hours with a program that you will do while working from home and be careful to get enough sleep.