The history of the Anatolian Lighthouse, situated at the junction point of the Black Sea and the Bosphorus, is wondered by many. The Anatolian Lighthouse also gave its name to the village in the region where it is located. The village had been in a military zone for years and civilian entry started to be allowed in the 2000s. Blessed with a unique view, this place is a great option for those wishing to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Read on to learn more about the history of the Anatolian Lighthouse Village and the Anatolian Lighthouse. Happy reading!
History of the Anatolian Lighthouse
The Anatolian Lighthouse is located at the tip of the Bosphorus opening up to the Black Sea which is called the Yon (Hrom) Cape. Located on a small hill, the Anatolian Lighthouse also gave its name to the village where it is located. This place, which offers view for 16 nautical miles in clear weather, was built to guide the ships entering the Bosphorus. The lighthouse was built from wood during the Ottoman era. Looking at the historical sources, the lighthouse was first mentioned by the French Engineer Baron de Tott, who visited Istanbul in 1755. Similarly, the English Doctor Olivier mentioned the Anatolian Lighthouse in 1790. When looking at the Italian maps, the lighthouse is also seen in the years 1666 and 1793.
The lighthouse was built to monitor the British and French ships entering the Bosphorus and the Black Sea during the Crimean War. With the construction of the tower in 1856, it was started to be operated by the French. The watchmaker Bernard Camille Collas and Captain Marius Michel, who brought Eugénie, the then Empress of France, to Istanbul, were put in charge of the lighthouse. They were asked to leave 28% of the operating income to the state. In 1933, Turkey revoked the concessions by paying TRY 500,000 to the French.
Made from white stone with a round shape, the structure of the Anatolian Lighthouse narrows as it goes upwards. The tower, which is 75 meters above sea level, is 20 meters high. The tower continues to preserve its original form. The engine that rotates the lightbulb and the crystal was appended later. Previously, a gas oil lamp with a fuse and luminescent sleeve lamps powered by LPG had been used. 1000 watt electric lamps are used nowadays.
The area is accessible by land from Beykoz and Poyrazköy. In addition, some IETT (Istanbul Electric Tramway and Tunnel Establishments) buses go there, too. The villagers earn for their livelihoods through fishing, dairy farming and vegetable growing. The place draws attention with its natural beauties and beautiful seafood. The region also houses a number of important historical artifacts. Among these are the Hamid-i Evvel Mosque built by Abdulhamid II in 1880 and the Yoros Castle from the Byzantine era. In addition, a large part of the village is covered with many trees including beech, oak, arbutus and chestnut trees.
These articles may also be of interest to you:
10 Alternative Worth-Seeing Museums in Istanbul
Travel Guide for Naval Museum
Establishment Story of Istanbul Toy Museum
The History of Istanbul Archaeological Museums
Much More Than a Museum: Rahmi Koç Museum
Barış Manço Museum Guide