During the summer, factors such as the weather getting warmer, eating habits changing, and the body requiring more energy etc, can cause various problems to the digestive system. These problems must be taken seriously. If they regularly and frequently occur, it is vital to seek advicefrom a doctor. On the other hand, if you pay attention to your eating habits, it is possible to protect your digestive system during the summer!
What should I eat to protect my digestive system during the summer?
Here are some points you need to know about keeping your digestion healthy in the summer:
- It’s particularly important in the summer not to strain your stomach. Eat small portions as far as possible. Eating extremely big portions can prevent your stomach’s digestive properties from functioning properly. This can lead to cramp and other forms of complaints.
- In the summer, many people like to drink milkshakes. However, it is important to remember that a milk and fruit mixture can be damaging for your digestive system. Acid found in fruit can damage the milk in the digestive tracts. This may not be helpful for the health of your digestive system.
- It is important not to strain your digestion with oily foods in the summer. For that reason, try and reduce your oil intake.
- For the health of your digestive system, try and keep consumption of very spicy and salty foods to a minimum.
- In the summer, many of us like to drink cold water before and after eating. However, it must not be forgotten that cold water deactivates digestive enzymes. For that reason, make sure that you drink half a glass of warm water before meals. The water will help prepare your stomach for digestion.
- Eating fruit in the summer is very important. Make sure to eat fruit one hour before or one hour after meals. The reason for this is that the glucose found inside fruit helps digestion by facilitating fermentation within the digestive tracts.
- Care should be taken not to ingest spicy, sour, sweet and salty foods together in one meal as this can irritate the stomach.
- Don’t forget that oral and dental health is linked to the digestive system.
- Make sure that you always chew your food sufficiently.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Daily fiber intake should not be interrupted as this is very important for a healthy digestive system.
- If you are lactose intolerant, stay away from milk.
- Take care not to eat food that is excessively hot or cold.
- Make sure you eat enoughon a daily basis.
- In the summer months, rest your stomach from time to time. For example, in a way that won’t damage your health, try and eat less for 1-2 weeks.
These articles may also be of interest to you: