The summer heat has begun; so, are the sports played in other seasons also suitable for the boiling heat of summer? When we think of the physical and mental benefits, we are drawn to outdoor sports. However, there are many things to bear in mind when playing sports outdoors in hot weather. Here are some of the most suitable sports for hot weather and some things to beware of when playing sports in hot weather...
What sports can be played in hot weather?
Diving: Diving is an ideal summer sport. If you are adventurous and love discovering new things, then diving is just right for you! After taking some introductory lessons, you are able to start enjoying diving straight away with your classmates. You will soon be able to discover new places with diving teams.
Swimming: Swimming is one of the most popular summer sports. As well as being enjoyable, it is also very relaxing. You use every muscle exercising in your body when swimming. Swimming is therefore a great way of staying in shape.
Roller Skating: Roller skating has become more popular recently with the increase in the number of bicycle and skating lanes. Roller skating exercises many different muscle groups.
Tennis: Another sport that is ideal for the summer months is tennis. The sport exercises many parts of your body. Playing tennis is made easier by the constantly increasing number of courts available.
Keeping Fit: Keeping fit includes many different sports such as brisk walking, pedaling and climbing. Keeping fit in the summer allows you to stay in shape and improves your quality of life. Keeping fit also allows you to get rid of those unwanted pounds.
Running: If you like outdoor sports, running is just right for you! You can run slowly or vigorously, whatever suits you best. Running is an ideal summer sport for staying in shape and improving fitness.
Cycling: Cycling allows you to play a sport while discovering new places at the same time. Cycling can even be fully integrated into your life as a regular means of transport.
Beach Volleyball: You’re on holiday and can’t play any of these sports? In which case we have a fun suggestion for you: beach volleyball!
Walking: Plenty of walking every day helps to organize your sleep patters, gives you energy, controls your appetite, increases the speed of your basic metabolism and reduces high blood pressure.
What should you pay attention to when playing sport in hot weather?
Here are some essential points to bear in mind:
- Choose the best time to play your sport. Try to avoid playing during the hottest part of the day. If possible, sport should be played in the coolness of the morning.
- As more water is lost during hot weather, ensure that you drink enough water during the day.
- Try to wear breathable sports t-shirts wherever possible, especially for outdoor sports.
- Don’t suddenly increase your tempo in hot weather. Keep your tempo at a reasonable level.
- It is essential to rest your body while playing sport in hot weather. If symptoms such as dizziness, excessive sweating or nausea are experienced, the activity should be abandoned. If the symptoms continue, you must consult a doctor.
- Light colored clothes that don’t attract the sun should be favored.
- In summer, the so-called pre-cooling off technique can also be applied. To apply the technique, place a cold towel on the forehead and neck, or take a cold shower before playing sport.
These articles may also be of interest to you: